9 October 2017 - Week 27

We had such a fun surprise in our mailbox on Monday this week.  We receive about two pieces of mail per month.  One of them is a bill for our internet service and sometimes we will get an advertisement of some kind.  When I looked in the box and saw a note in there I was excited to see what it would be.  I was not let down.  The piece of paper in the box was a notice to come to the "posta" for pickup of a package.  Hmmm... what could it be?  This will be an adventure.  Brent has been to the post office to pick up a package once before.  It was a nightmare.  He waited in a line for 2 hours to talk to people who don't like their jobs or speak English.  We strategized about what would be the best way to tackle this job.  We checked the hours the posta is open and decided it would be best to arrive there right after lunch - 12:30.  The posta building is a national monument.  It is very old.  This picture is just inside the front door.  We don't go into either of these doors.   
Brent explained that when he was waiting to pick up a package last time, there were guys coming in through the front door and heading into this door with their bikes to pick up mail.  The mail delivery is mostly done by bicycle.
The door swings in and out with the breeze.  The mail carriers roll their bikes across the floor and through the door. 

Here is a guy with his bike, but I don't think he was a mail carrier. 


Here is the door we need to go through, but we have to wait for them to open after lunch.  Luckily there were only two people in front of us.  

The door finally opens and both of the people in front of us are allowed inside.  We're next.  After a few minutes, the people ahead of us come out and we are invited inside.  I hand the lady our piece of paper and she retrieves a package from a back room.  

She speaks to the man in Romanian.  I am not sure what is going on.  Brent said sometimes they require you to pay some tax to get the package, depending on what is inside.  I am nervous.  

I see that the package is from the Baugh's.  Barb said she was sending me some birthday treats.  The man speaks to me in Romanian and places a box cutter by the package.  I turned to Brent and said, "I think he wants me to open it."  I opened the box and sure enough, inside were some most delicious treats.  Rice Krispy treats, chocolate licorice, and red licorice nibs.  Yummmy.  
The man wants me to sign his book and gives me the package.  No Tax to pay.  Great! Here I am with the posta in the background.
Posta in the background

We hustle outside with the goodies.  Here we are outside the building. (There are lots of pigeons here.  Burt from Sesame Street would be in heaven. 


Here is a close up of the goodies for your enjoyment.  I know we have really enjoyed them.  Thanks so much Brent and Barb.  We appreciate your SUPPORT.

Most of the week was spent on Romanian language study.  It requires a lot of time. We had a great weekend as our mission president and his wife came to West Romanian to visit all the branches here. It was Fast Sunday.   They attended our branch in Arad where our insightful Relief Society President encouraged them to teach for the second hour.  They taught powerfully about baptism and how it is important.  It was exactly what our investigators needed to hear. We took a group picture, but I don't have a copy of it yet.

We headed to Timisoara as we usually do to support the branch there.  After testimony meeting and a Sunday school lesson taught by the missionaries, we were treated to a nice lunch prepared by the ladies of the branch.  We visited and enjoyed getting to know each other better. 
Pres Hettinger and Sora Negru


Sora Negru and Sora Gaby

Sora Hettinger and Elder Custer

Elder Andersen

Have a great week.  We love you!










Comments

  1. What a wonderful week for you!! It's great to hear how you're settling in. I'm sure the members loved having Pres. Hettinger visit. What a treat. We got the postcard you sent of the castle. It was so great to just see your hand writing! Simple I know but that was the first thing I thought of. We had a glorious Sabbath with family and friends and hearing Klass speak in sacrament meeting. What a DELIGHT! She is so ready to be a missionary and I'm ready to be a missionary mom. I know it's going to be super tough to not see her for so long, but it will be a treasure to learn from her letters each week. It brings back so many feelings of when McKay was in Poland. I just want to study to find good stuff to send her. She is going to do amazingly well. Hope your upcoming week is full of adventure. We'll send you pictures from our trip to Provo. ❤️ Love you both so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment