P day May 1, 2017


 It was P-Day and the young missionaries wanted to go to the Soimos Fortress.  The Soimos Fortress is an old Castle type building built in the middle 1200s.
 The fortress is on the top of a very steep hill.  We walked for about 20 minutes to get to the top.  I told the young missionaries that they could go ahead of me and I'd catch up.  It's like climbing the Menan butte.
 We stopped for photos often and I did just fine.  I got there the same time as everyone else.  The castle is very old and left in ruins but very fun to see.











The walls are all at least 4 Ft. thick and made of some type of cement and lots of rock.  It looked like it did not take a lot of skill to build, just lots of labor.

I loved all the arches and towers.  Some of the towers and walls are many stories tall.  According to google this fortress had been under siege many times.





There is Elder Meek looking out an arched door or window.
 Sora Alger and Sora Anderson climbed up to a window to look out.
Here is our whole group.  From left to right we have Sora Alger, Sora Anderson, Elder Wilstead, Elder Meek, And Me, Elder Andersen.  Jamie stayed home due to the problems with hauling more than 5 in our small car.










The elders and sisters were very grateful to me for taking them on a P-Day activity like this.  They said that they liked the fact that I would take the time to climb up the steep hill to be with them.  They are all great missionaries.

After we got back to Arad it was time to eat lunch and the missionaries talked me into going to KFC. It was there that I had one of those language problems.  I stepped up and ordered for myself.  The girl taking my order seemed a little beside herself by what I ordered.  When I paid I thought that the meal seemed a little expensive.  The elders kept coming to me and thanking for buying them a meal and I would think "What are they talking about".  When my order was ready I found that I had ordered 5 Chicken strip meals, not a 5 piece chicken strip meal.  I really had to laugh when I thought about it later.  I actually had one more meal there than we had people to eat.

Comments

  1. That castle reminds me of the pictures McKay sent home from Poland. That would be so neat the see and explore. That really is great that you took those missionaries to visit that. Their families will love reading about their adventure and seeing the pictures. Tess told me how much she loved the senior couples when she was a missionary and commented on how much they sacrifice. Look like such a great day! And that KFC ordering experience gave me a chuckle. I know our kids will like it too. They love a part in the movie Pink Panther with Steve Martin when he is trying to order at McDonalds and the language barrier causes problems. Super funny! I love reading about and seeing your adventures. What a great experience. We are plugging along with life here! Keagan ran at Tiger Griz last weekend and won his section of the 2-mile with a PR of 10:31. It was an exciting race. And the weather wasn't a blizzard or rain! Miracle. Klarissa comes home from college today and will be here until Friday when she leaves for the summer to sell. It will be fun to have her home for a bit. Kira has her track districts in St. Anthony on Friday and then will be at Lagoon with the school choir on a Saturday. She also gets to serve at the temple open house this week on Thursday putting booties on the patrons. McKay got his motorbike out yesterday and ride it to work. The biggest motivator for that isn't the weather (although it is supposed to be a nice week), rather it is that his truck is in the shop. I don't know all that went wrong with it but it will take a week to fix and cost $1400. Well, hope your week goes well. We love you lots and pray for you often!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment