24 July 2017 - Week 16

One more week in the bag.  We began driving to the forest, it's really the woods to me,  in the mornings for a walk.  The reason I think it's the woods is that the trees are leafy with few evergreens.  To me, a forest should be mostly evergreen.  It's just a 5-minute drive from our apartment,  then we park the car and walk on a shaded road. It's been so hot, we try to avoid the hot time of day. These cute little flowers are growing in the woods.


On Tuesday, we picked up the Elders at 7 am and drove to Oradea for Zona Conferencia.  It was our first time to meet the new President and his wife.  I feel bad I didn't get a picture of them. The Elders always do a good job of putting the meetings together.  Sora Gobar from the Ukraine, who is serving in Oradea currently, ordered our lunch.  It was pita-type bread sandwiches. Quite gooey and yummy, of course, Brent the non-sandwich eater, didn't care for them. The top picture is the companionships practicing their teaching.  The second picture, is a group who sang for us.  Sora Casteneda, Sora Anderson, Sora Simmons, Sora Alger, Elder Perret, and Elder Huntsman.






There is a man who lives in Cluj who does custom book binding.  He began doing books for the orthodox people, but when the missionaries learned about him, he became in demand for Books of Mormon and Bibles. He has choices of leather and can typeset the name of the book and personalize on the back if wanted.  They are very cool.



Brent found another great seed pod on his walk.  This one looks like it would be a good example of a weapon of mass destruction. I am not sure, but wonder if it is a horse chestnut. I looked it up but, can't tell for sure.


On Saturday evening, we went for groceries and then an adventure to see if we could drive to the Hungarian border on the map Brent had found on the map.  It looked like it was very close to Arad, so we had to check it out. Here we are.  No guards. No electric fence. Only two locked bar gates. The grimace on my face is because I wasn't sure I could take a selfie. 





Comments

  1. That seed pod looks a lot like some I was intrigued with in Poland. There were chestnut-type seeds inside. I filled a sock or two of the seeds and brought them home. I loved the trees they came from. The leaves were large and the whole tree had a beautiful shape. I wish I knew what kind they were. I've seen comparable trees here and would love to plant some when we get to that point. I keep holding out that someday we will have a yard with trees. Ha! We did level some of our front yard and put grass seed down. We'll see what becomes of it!

    Keagan passed his written driving test yesterday and hopes to take his skills test today. It's a big milestone in a young person's life. I'm not excited to pay more car insurance, though! Next week he goes to EFY at BYUI. I'm so excited for him to have the experience. That program really anchored my testimony.

    The kids have started their find raising efforts for cross country. I really hate it. The 24-hour run is coming soon. Kallan will be running with the team as a 5th grader. He is so excited. I wanted him to wait another year but gave in to his excitement. He's been going to summer practices and wants to race. Kira's knees have been bothering her so she's cross training on the bike. She's grown quite a bit and I think her knees are feeling it. Hopefully the pain will line out.

    Klarissa seems to be doing well working in Vegas. She's a little eager to get home and line things out for her mission. She has an appointment in September to get her wisdom teeth extracted. I hope that goes smoothly.

    Hope things continue to go well for you and that you stay healthy and beat the heat. We love you and are so grateful for your example to serve, especially so far from your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment